Question:
What bands did you like when they first came out, but now think they are total sell-outs?
2008-03-04 07:09:47 UTC
I can think of a bunch of them....
Korn - I loved their very first CD, the on with Blind, but since they have gradually gotten worse.
Staind - Their first one was raw and hard, and now they have totally sold out
Filter - what happened to these guys? woosies
STP - after sex type thing, they just totally sold out
Pearl Jam - Ten, and Versus were awesome, but I cant listen to anything after that
Metallica - I'm a big as fan as any of them, Hell I grew up in the 80's, but like so many say, they suck after Black album
AC/DC - I understand, they sold out because they are just old
Slipknot - Stone Sour?

I can increase the list ad infinitum
23 answers:
2008-03-04 07:19:33 UTC
I agree on almost all of those... nope.. I agree on every single one...there is something I disagree with.. A good friend of mine who is the biggest metallica fan I have ever heard of, can track the demise of Metallica's greatness starting at "...And justice for all"

He Actually links Metallica's fall to the death of Cliff Burton. And its a very convincing chain of events from the messy production value of Justice to the lackluster release of Load. And what the hell is up with St. anger?? Did they record that in a bathroom??? Not only is there a strange sound to all the instruments but it is pure SHlT...

The best songs since Justice: Of Wolf and Man, Misery, Don't tred on me, and I'll let sad but true slip in there...

By the way, F*CK Bob Rock...
theda
2016-05-25 11:40:45 UTC
1
2008-03-04 08:55:07 UTC
I think "sell out" is the most overused term I've seen on this board. I think it's a scapegoat excuse to explain a direction change that fans find distasteful. Sometimes people just do different stuff and end up leaving some fans behind. Not to say that no one actually sells out, but it's a lot rarer than it seems to be portrayed here.

To answer the question though, Liz Phair. Her first two records particularly are very good. Then she came out with that Why Can't I Breathe single... Man that was terrible. I appreciate though that she didn't pull her punches about it and I can certainly respect someone of her talent wanting resources to retire and have a comfortable family life with.
GK Dub
2008-03-04 09:28:39 UTC
I think people throw the term "sell out" around way too much. In fact I think the term has lost it's meaning. A sell-out is supposed to be a group who changes their image and sound in a way that they don't want to for the sake of getting more money. But people tend to think that whenever a band tries to experiement and be creative (as artists tend to do) then suddenly they've sold out. If you ask me, selling out would be sticking with the sound that got you popular, just because you know that formula already works. It's too safe. But going in the total opposite direction (like Korn or Metallica), now that takes balls. Most of the groups that I think have truely sold out are groups that I never liked to begin with.
2008-03-04 08:54:09 UTC
AC/DC is as far from a sellout as it gets.

They Rock just as hard on Stiff Upper Lip as they did on 74 Jailbreak.

For Me it's gotta be Metallica's Alterna-Metal Crap. I have rarely seen a Band go from hero to Zero faster while betraying the S*it out of every single one of their principles and spurning their roots.

That's why I think that

The Black Album

Load

Re-Load

St Anger

Are the four biggest pieces of dessicated dog crap in Metal history.
2008-03-04 08:24:04 UTC
I agree with Korn and Slipknot. I also think these bands sold out:

System of a down (taking a break was a GREAT idea)

Avenged Sevenfold (They used to be good back before they got popular)
2008-03-04 07:23:05 UTC
Avenged Sevenfold

Atreyu

Sum-41

Fall Out Boy
Dustbowl Blues
2008-03-04 07:17:57 UTC
Nickleback. - Just give me the money and I'll do the minimum required.

ZZ Top - Once a great blues band, now a corporate shell.

Kiss - They could write a whole book on how to sell out.

Bon Jovi - Well they're just plain crap !!
2008-03-04 11:18:31 UTC
good charalotte - it could have been because i was like 13 when there first album was out, but i thought the first album had promis, and it was a good transition into harder rock. but i think there to freakin pop now. like i said could just be the age thing.
Beatle fanatic
2008-03-04 09:09:57 UTC
I loved Queen thru their first 8 albums (The Game) and thought they sucked after that.
2008-03-04 08:02:30 UTC
I liked My Chemical Romance because not many people knew about them here in the Uk and now it's like every little hormone stupid little girl likes them.

I prefer bands that are not that "popular", the second they get "popular" POW it ruins everything.
Dan
2008-03-04 07:35:41 UTC
Fall Out Boy as well... not because the music has got any worse... coz i don't think it has...but just because they're going for all that hip-hop style 'entrepreneurial' stuff... and thats lame with rappers to start with.. never mind a rock band...'
?
2008-03-04 20:18:55 UTC
I completely agree with GK Dub. He said everything I was thinking.
2008-03-04 07:17:07 UTC
I agree with you on the fact that Staind has totally sold out. They used to be the best but now they seem kind of generic. Maybe it's just me but that's how I feel.

Also, Fall Out Boy has really become generic.

Many bands have. The list could go on forever.
loudogg
2008-03-04 07:19:04 UTC
Green Day - Dookie was a great album, but everything they've done since then has sucked a**.
Master of Puppets
2008-03-04 07:43:15 UTC
metallica and guns n roses. can someone explain to me how the razor's edge from ac/dc sounds so different than their previous albums? i dont get how they sold out
speeddemon9696
2008-03-04 07:21:37 UTC
Metallica and Green Day
The Love Duck
2008-03-04 07:30:17 UTC
F*CK the notion that you lose artistic credibility, blah blah blah.

The whole point of the music business is to sell records and make money. Period. It's not show "artistry"...it's SHOW BUSINESS!

Gene Simmons of KISS said it best, "You want to accuse us of selling out? Damn right we sell out....We sell out every night."
2008-03-04 07:27:09 UTC
Motley Crue

Kansas

AC / DC
2008-03-04 07:25:55 UTC
FOB hands down . They were amazing before but now their music is **** and their total SELLOUTS.
2008-03-04 08:34:09 UTC
yeah slipknot sliped down ALOT...

green day suck to they were good not anymore
2008-03-04 07:17:55 UTC
N'synce. Backstreet Boys.
2008-03-04 07:18:40 UTC
I have to add one....