Question:
Alternative, Post-Punk and Rock music recommendations please!?
?
2012-12-20 04:12:59 UTC
+++Before you answer my question, please make sure that you will bother looking through the lists of artists below and your answer will follow my specifications.+++

Hey there. I'm really into alternative, post-punk and rock music and I would like some help finding some different bands and artists to listen to.

I'd prefer old than new (maybe around 70's-late 80's), that are NOT on the list and it would be GREATLY appreciated if you kindly leave some recommended songs along with the name of the artist.

You're probably thinking "Oh my god, another question asking for a music recommendation, just search for some music on a song searching engine yourself!" But I want to know your opinions so I can expand my music library with music I can really relate to and enjoy.

I know that my list is ridiculously long, but I REALLY hate those really shitty overrated bands that people recommend in almost every Yahoo Answers music recommendation question so I thought I should list some of them down so you can avoid listing them.

You can recommend less popular songs that you feel are really good by artists that are on the 'They're okay' and 'Have only listened to a few songs' section of the list as well!

Again, please, no punk, metal or techno or any other genre for the time being (you can see what sort of bands and artists I DO NOT WANT recommended at the bottom of this post).

Favorites:

Arcade Fire
Arctic Monkeys
The Beatles
Brandon Flowers
Electric Guest
Foster The People
Julian Casablancas
The Killers
Miike Snow
Modest Mouse
Neon Trees
Pomplamoose
Queen
The Strokes
Telekinesis
Temper Trap
Vampire Weekend
We Are Scientists

They’re okay:

Cage The Elephant
Gotye
Kaiser Chiefs
Maroon 5
Matt & Kim
MGMT
Of Monsters And Men
OneRepublic
Rooney
Weezer

Have only listened to a few songs:

Bloc Party
Blur
The Click Five
Dananananaykroyd
David Bowie
Death Cab For Cutie
Depeche Mode
Eric Clapton
A Fine Frenzy
Flaming Lips
Foals
Franz Ferdinand
The Fratellis
The Fray
The Gorillaz
Hot Chip
Imagine Dragons
Jack White
The Jezabels
Joy Division
Kasabian
The Kooks
The Libertines
M83
Mumford & Sons
Muse
The Naked and Famous
Nirvana
OK Go
Passion Pit
Peter, Bjorn & John
Phantom Planet
The Police
The Postal Service
Pulp
Radiohead
The Ramones
Razorlight
Sex Pistols
The Smashing Pumpkins
The Smiths
Snow Patrol
Sons Of An Illustrious Father
Sting
The Teddybears
Tokyo Police Club
Toto
Two Door Cinema Club
The Velvet Underground
The Verve
Walk Off The Earth
The White Stripes
The Wombats
Yellow Ostrich

++++++++++++++++++++

NONE OF THESE!!!!!!:

AC/DC
The Academy Is...
Alkaline Trio
The All-American Rejects
All Time Low
Asking Alexandria
Avenged Sevenfold
Avril Lavigne
Black Sabbath
Blink-182
Boys Like Girls
Breaking Benjamin
Breathe Carolina
Cobra Starship
Coldplay
Cute Is What We Aim For
Fall Out Boy
The Foo Fighters
Fun.
Green Day
Gym Class Heroes
Hadouken
Hawthorne Heights
The Heavy
Hoobastank
Jimmy Eat World
Linkin Park
McFly
Metro Station
My Chemical Romance
New Found Glory
Panic! At The Disco
Paramore
Plain White T’s
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Relient K
Simple Plan
Smash Mouth
Sum 41
Taking Back Sunday
30 Seconds To Mars
Three Days Grace
The Used
You Me At Six
We The Kings

++++++++++++++++++++

...or any other bad overrated artists
Five answers:
Provehito In Altum
2012-12-20 14:41:30 UTC
Sorry, if I repeat any bands - tried to read through all but sure I may have listed some you mentioned, so just ignore :)

Ringside - DAYGLO, STRUGGLE, TIRED OF BEING SORRY, etc

Elevation

The Anix - WARNING SIGNS, SLEEPWALKER, IN THE DARK, LONG WAY OUT

Black Lab - ANYTHING (this version http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Ygw5rBgCp… ), BRING IT ON, THIS NIGHT, WEIGHTLESS,etc

Apoptygma Bezerk - IN THIS TOGETHER

Walk The Moon

Phoenix - LISZTOMANIA,1901, LASSO, ROME

Trevor Hall - BRAND NEW DAY, SING A SONG, MOUNTAIN, HOUSE

Ashes Remain

Vega4

Ryan Star - (11:89 LP) BRAND NEW DAY, LAST TRAIN HOME, BREATHE, LOSING YOUR MEMORY, etc

Needtobreathe - THROUGH SMOKE, LAY 'EM DOWN

The Veer Union

Pop Evil

Emphatic

Art Of Dying

Otherwise

10 Years

The Gaslight Anthem

12 Stones

Thousand Foot Krutch

And You Will Know Us By The Trail of the Dead (aka Trail Of The Dead) - CATERWAUL

Stone Sour

Five Finger Death Punch

Cold - WICKED WORLD, BLEED

Yellowcard

Imagine Dragons - IT'S TIME, DEMONS, etc

Rev Theory

Ghost Of August

Red - FACELESS, LET IT BURN, etc

Anberlin

Lumineers - HOY-HEY, STUBBORN LOVE

Aranda

Sent By Ravens

Evans Blue

Disciple

Young Guns

Semi Precious Weapons

3 Doors Down

Lifehouse

Yellowcard

Kevin Rudolf - Let It Rock

Seether

Redlight King

The Offspring

Skillet

Saving Abel

Volbeat

City Archaic

Snow Patrol

Spoon - GOT NUFFIN

Florence + The Machine - SHAKE IT OUT, NO LIGHT-NO LIGHT, DRUMMING SONG

Muse

Mona - CLOAK AND DAGGER, TEENAGER, PAVEMENT

Matchbox 20

Deftones

Taproot

Sons Of Sylvia

Badly Drawn Boy

Eels

Garbage

Damien Rice - ROOTLESS TREE, 9 CRIMES

Evenscance

Owl City

Michael Franti & Spearhead

BANDS THAT HAVE BEEN AROUND A WHILE, BUT MIGHT CHECK OUT:

Collective Soul

The Calling

Rusted Root

Moby

Filter

Goo Goo Dolls (their older stuff was more Punk)

Shinedown

Soundgarden

Bush

Hinder

Creed

Cavo

The Veils - SIT DOWN BY THE FIRE

U2 (couple lesser known) - HAWKMOON 269, EXIT, '40'

Remy Zero

Duran Duran

Pearl Jam

Pinback

OLDIES BUT GOODIES:

The Cure

INXS

The Clash

Chalk Farm

Rhythm Corps

Modern English

Love & Rockets

Echo & The Bunnymen

Paul Kelly & The Messengers

Dishwalla

Slade

Live

Jesus Jones

Smashing Pumpkins

Queensryche

Depeche Mode

Jars Of Clay

REM

Phish

A GREAT TRICK TO REMEMBER: Within Amazon in MP3 catergory, enter the name of band you like; click on an album; when the page opens, under that album's tracks it will say" Customers who bought..."; it is a list of other albums you might like. Sometimes you have to scroll through a bunch before U get lucky, but a lot of times it can worth the search :)
Mystique
2012-12-20 04:28:07 UTC
Rock: Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Bad Company, The Rolling Stones, Eagles, Scorpions, Journey, The Who, ELO, The Cars and listen to more David Bowie, Eric Clapton and the Police

Post-Punk: The Cure, Talking Heads, New Order, Joy Division, The Stranglers
Bhaa...
2012-12-21 01:14:38 UTC
OOOOOOOOOOh.

Public Image Limited, The Slits, Gang of Four, Swell Maps, The Raincoats, New Age Steppers, Animals & Men,
Craig
2012-12-20 04:55:41 UTC
Check out The Dickies, Dickies are from the 70's and early 80's. They're hard to categorize, some say pop, I think they're just weird, but really good.
Furia [cowBELLZ]
2012-12-20 08:20:26 UTC
but I like Jimmy Eat World....

lol anyways: