Question:
Best Drummers?
2007-05-09 19:20:34 UTC
Hello, I'm looking to buy or download some music with live bands, nothing (or not too much) done with Beat-Machines and stuff like that. I'm mostly looking for Bands with the best drummers. Any suggestions?
Seventeen answers:
jdandcoke4meplease
2007-05-09 20:04:58 UTC
Rick Allen from Def Leppard was a genius, considering the bloke only had 1 arm... Check out the drum solo in the song Moby Dick by Led Zeppelin to see what kind of master he was (if u can get The song remains the same on dvd u will see the best drum solo he ever did). Ian Paice from Deep Purple was awesome, as was Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden. Lars Ulrich from Metallica is a legend, Mick Fleetwood from Fleetwood Mac was great, and u cant go past John Densmore from The Doors, Nick Mason from Pink Floyd, and Vinnie Paul from Pantera. Hope u find something u like in this mix!
trippedits
2007-05-09 21:21:26 UTC
What that Mercury guy said! I'm not a fan of Rush, but Neil Peart is amazing.

I'd also add Vinnie Paul (I think he's way underrated as a drummer), Mike Portney from Dream Theatre, and Ringo Starr.
RushFan2112
2007-05-09 21:17:24 UTC
By far the best drummer is Neil Pert... but being a RUSH fan I am a bit biased... Look at all the other answers as well ... I would suggest the solo preformed on R30 as being great it is listed as the track named "Der Trommler" and is availible here: http://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage/dvd-and-video/index.html

I would also suggest Neil's other works "A Work in Progress" and "Anatomy of a Drum Solo" if you are really into drums.
Chris
2007-05-09 20:12:08 UTC
Bull Bruford is my all time favourite drummer, played with Yes, UK, King Crimson and has his own jazz band called Bruford. Check out the second Disc of Seconds Out by Genesis, he was their touring drummer during the recording. Chet Baker was also very good, he toured with them more than Bruford; particularly nice is the drum duet between Chet Baker and Phil Collins on disc one of the same album.
Fat Boy
2007-05-09 19:40:25 UTC
Neil Peart from Rush...the best drum solo's ever.

Dave Lambardo from Slayer

Terry Bozzio

John Bonham from Led Zeppelin
ash_beer59
2007-05-09 20:44:24 UTC
Ian Paice's drumming is fantastic. Check his work on Made In Japan with Deep Purple and also the album Burn.

Lee Kerslake with Uriah Heep is another legend, check out the title track Magician's Birthday where he jammed with guitarist Mick Box.
Mr. Wizard
2007-05-09 22:09:21 UTC
Buddy Rich, Neil Peart (Rush), Kieth Moon (The Who (early years)) and John Bonham ( Led Zeppelin (early years)).

Put forth intense study from these four drumming masters.....and equal intense efforts at mastering their skill....and I promise: you'll be thanking me when you become a superstar.
meep meep
2007-05-09 19:25:40 UTC
RUSH

Led Zeppelin

The Who

Nirvana
2007-05-09 19:50:35 UTC
Take Five - Dave Brubeck Quartet

Yeah I know I know it's jazz. But the set solo in it is pretty dang crazy, and I mean really crazy.
This Guy
2007-05-09 22:48:53 UTC
Ted Kirkpatrick - Tourniquet

Jerry Gaskill - King's X

Travis Barker - Blink 182
sandman
2007-05-09 20:45:38 UTC
Neal Peart from Rush...has to be the greatest ever
iLOVEyou...
2007-05-09 23:30:16 UTC
Bob Bryar!
2007-05-09 20:49:52 UTC
john bonham BEST drummer ever.. i know people will not agree but come on with up him zeppelin would have only been good.. not power and great.
2007-05-09 22:32:29 UTC
depends on what you like...if you like metal you have vinnie paul,gene hoglan,if you like prog you have jimmy degrasso,,rock neil pert
Ask April :P
2007-05-09 19:57:57 UTC
the All American Rejects In the beging of this song 'Dance inside' there are a lot of drums in the beging.
dana w
2007-05-09 21:29:48 UTC
pantera
THE-KNoW
2007-05-09 19:51:20 UTC
tavis barker is a really good drummer.. and the drummer in led zepplin is the best.. he only has one arm!