Question:
best prog metal, (not rock) band? for me it's fates warning.?
tittiestrangler
2007-05-09 18:32:44 UTC
best prog metal, (not rock) band? for me it's fates warning.?
Thirteen answers:
THAT GUY
2007-05-09 18:55:28 UTC
I would have to say Clutch if you could consider that metal even.
Dayna B
2007-05-13 17:29:17 UTC
Fate's Warning Rules!, Queensryche, Dream Theater (& James LaBrie/Mullmuzzler, John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess), Rhapsody, King Diamond, Rush, Rainbow, Shadow Gallery, Dali's Dilemma, Into Eternity, Jacob's Dream, Savatage (& Jon Oliva's Pain), Meshuggah, Magellan, Nevermore, Symphony X, Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Those are the bands I listen to I am sure there is more but I don't have all day. Even early Metallica (Ride the Lightening) & Megadeth are considered prog metal.
kellenator
2007-05-13 14:03:45 UTC
Rush is a tough one because they can sound very hard rock/metal at times, but I still would just call them prog rock. Vinster, I don't think the asker means any disrespect towards prog rock bands, he just want to know metal bands. Also, very good choice with Fates Warning. My favorite prog metal band is Communic.
Craig
2007-05-10 02:04:20 UTC
Fate's Warning is good. I have not listened to them in years. Not since Perfect Symmetry. Since most prog bands are pretty much under the radar. I'd have to go with Dream Theatre. Do they count?

Oh, and I can play YYZ beat for beat on drums. Tom Sawyer too. What does that have to do with this question though?
Wedge_Antilles_72
2007-05-11 06:20:35 UTC
Fates is a good choice, but it's a toss up between them Dream Theater, Savatage(after Hall Of The Mountain King) and Queensryche.
robert g
2007-05-13 20:14:35 UTC
dream theater yes. a band called masquerade. what instrument is it that you like best. some of the prog. metal gets thrown into the jazz section also. like Dayna pointed out
The Watcher
2007-05-10 02:04:48 UTC
King's X

Galactic Cowboys
meep meep
2007-05-10 01:56:03 UTC
If talking about metal, then it has to be Opeth

and Porcupine Tree, they're one of my favorite bands, but they're only sometimes metal.
Will_Scot_55
2007-05-11 05:22:45 UTC
Tool
ƎIΝΟƆ
2007-05-10 02:22:01 UTC
prog metal? Opeth, and the new porcupine tree (new is metal)
Paulie
2007-05-10 21:21:31 UTC
My favourite is Dream Theater.
flubbermud
2007-05-10 03:51:22 UTC
i would say 2112 by rush... come on one song taking up the entire side of an album that was so cool.
2007-05-10 01:40:36 UTC
Whatchoo mean "not rock"??!! Seriously....When you can play (note for note - any instrument) Rush's "YYZ" then you get back to me...