Question:
What is the most progressive and advanced genre in terms of technology and music?
Thinker Man Made Paradise
2010-07-20 11:45:24 UTC
What is the most progressive and advanced genre in terms of technology and music?
Nine answers:
Loveless
2010-07-20 12:05:23 UTC
I'd say in modern times that'd boil down to electronic music such as IDM and breakcore, which always push the limits and often incorporate strange, advanced algorithms. But just as well avant-garde and experimental music is by far the most progressive. By the 60s music itself progressed and while there were the mainstream artists such as The Beatles that were radically different at their time, there were also the more experimental and obscure artists. Industrial acts such as Throbbing Gristle began to emerge, and their bizarre influence can still be seen today. There is no real answer because music keeps evolving. The more "progressive" music may even be seen as "pretentious" by some, so that is another thing to consider. Free improv artists such as Luigi Nono, or noise artists such as Merzbow. There is so much stuff!
Sexy Tuba
2010-07-20 11:55:28 UTC
House
Teaim
2010-07-20 17:48:07 UTC
Modern pop music barely sounds like it was made by humans. Its all just heavy production and effects. I guess its necessary to hide the lack of talent.

Of the albums I actually listen to and enjoy, I would say that the albums produced by Brian Eno are pretty cool, sonically.

Like this one...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU
2010-07-20 12:04:52 UTC
Yeah, Law Man nailed it.

Kosmische music from the '70s is incredibly complex.

Have a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi9HVZ4WCDo
Ekrons
2010-07-20 12:23:21 UTC
Kraurock or house, but also progressive rock like yes, pink floyd, tool, focus, and dream theater

Also most techno sub-genres
Law Man
2010-07-20 11:49:14 UTC
Krautrock/ early to mid 70's avant-garde electronic music
beckconnie63
2010-07-21 07:24:48 UTC
I love it when you ask questions.. But this question i have not got a clue..

Well lets try Herbie Hancock his music. Or Beverly hills cop's theme is strange music.
phatzwave
2010-07-20 15:13:10 UTC
For me lately it's been Neofolk/Post-Industrial, mostly German.
2010-07-20 11:50:57 UTC
I'd say modern alternative rock, probably.