Question:
What's good from the bands Rancid and Bad Religion?
The Kid MT
2008-08-28 19:16:29 UTC
A friend recommended that I loom up old school punk bands like Rancid and Bad Religion and I don't know where to start looking.

Any suggestions?
Eleven answers:
No More
2008-08-28 19:56:50 UTC
The good from the bands Rancid and Bad Religion is when the song that is playing has ended and you are like so appreciative of utter silence for the first time in your life... Seriously, maybe if they joined forces and formed a band called Rancid Religion, they could buckle down and learn that elusive 3rd Chord!
Mr. V
2008-09-01 06:50:08 UTC
Rancid, start with ... And Out Come the Wolves. Absolutely incredible album. Some songs to look on youtube: Ruby Soho, Roots Radicals, Time Bomb

Bad Religion: I personally like Rancid a lot more, but Suffer is a great album by them.
oibenoi
2008-08-28 19:34:58 UTC
Just to let you know Rancid is not an old school punk band.

Anyway Out Come the Wolves is awesome so is Life Wont Wait

Check out some real old school bands like Black Flag, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, or the Ramones, MDC
menzbhc
2008-08-28 21:50:54 UTC
ok some of these people are obviously stupid. bad religion is definitely old school, they started in 1980 which means they've been together for 28 years! rancid started in the early 90's so they're not quite as old school but still, together longer than most marriages. now on to my album choices for you to listen to

bad religion:

suffer

how could hell be any worse?

no control

generator

stranger than fiction

those are their best albums, almost every song is excellent on them

rancid:

and out come the wolves

lets go

life wont wait

also, before tim armstrong (lint) created rancid, he was in a band called operation ivy. you should definitely check them out seeing as they were better IMHO than rancid is.

and i agree with the poster above that California Sun is well worth checking out. its a great song.
smartypants
2008-08-30 21:20:00 UTC
And out comes the wolves is a great classic album by Rancid. There 2003 album indestructible is okay too. Alot of the third wave ska music is like Rancid. I also really like Operation Ivy.
scioneaux
2016-10-28 15:38:59 UTC
the following ya bypass: Belvedere (Canada) it really is a Standoff (Canada) Mute (Canada) A Wilhelm Scream The Lawrence hands Strung Out Strike everywhere Banner Pilot Bigwig Pulley Enemy Alliance (Sweden) Venerea (Sweden) Millencolin (Sweden) Lagwagon a lot a similar sturdy Riddance intense 5 stress (Canada) Forus (Canada) Straightaway (France) Straighten issues Out (France) Beerbong (Italy) those are all truly sweet punk bands. a lot of them are from Europe as listed. Oh yeah, Gorilla Biscuits is a hardcore band. they are no longer a punk band.
Thrash 'Til Death
2008-08-28 19:29:33 UTC
Suffer, Against the Grain, No Control, and Generator are all good Bad Religion CDs.
drew b
2008-08-28 19:27:19 UTC
Rancid:

The Entire Out come the wolves album...it's amazing

California Sun (not on any records from them but you can find it on Kazaa or Youtube it)

Bad Religion

Social Suicide

Supersonic

Whispers in Time

Sorrow

and I'm sure others can add more to this list
Prisoner081406
2008-08-28 21:01:08 UTC
I agree with some of the other posts; these aren't old school bands ... or maybe I'm just old.

Anyway, if you want to sound like you know your old school punk, go with Operation Ivy and say that Bad Religion is such a sell-out.
BrANdi
2008-08-28 19:26:03 UTC
"White Knuckle Ride" & "Fall Back Down" by Rancid...

im not too sure about Bad Religon...

maybe "Punk Rock Song"
2008-08-28 19:21:41 UTC
i love the song Heros & Martyrs by Bad Religion....