Question:
R&P users.... What Instrument(s) do you Play?
killer peaches bored tyrant
2008-07-13 21:53:47 UTC
and what type of music do you prefer to play?
What model instrument is your "preferred"?
MQ- Who is your musical inspiration for what you play?

I play Bass (though I am just getting back into it) and prefer to play metal thpugh with some occasional; funk influences.
I play a Schecter Tribal Scorpion bass.
(I am influenced by Cliff Burton, Steve Harris, Justin Chancellor and John Entwistle)
28 answers:
Beatle fanatic
2008-07-14 05:45:16 UTC
I'm multi-talented and play an awesome Air Guitar AND Air Drums.

Preferable music is hard rock and metal.

I can play ANY model equally well.

Here's my 2 inspirations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THBiP7E4MXc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mwPqPqQ9ZA
zoso
2008-07-13 22:05:14 UTC
Guitar

I Play Rock

Epiphone G1275- Double Neck

Gibson- Les Paul Sunburst

Takamine -EF 381 SC 12 String Acoustic/Electric

Those Are My Favorites From My Collection

I Started As A Zeppelin Head And Then grew Into A Musician Of Many Styles & Taste, But Page Was My Textbook
wallflower
2008-07-13 22:45:02 UTC
I play a wide variety of instruments. they're all self taught.

- piano

- guitar

- bass guitar

- drums (just started a few months ago)

- cello (haha)

- harmonica

i'm mostly prefer playing lots of alternative rock, an occasionally like to try out some acoustic rock sort of thing.

well, in piano i have no real preference, just that i like it when it's untuned..

then, i have an ibanez guitar, and a yamaha acoustic.

my bass is a fender squier (not my choice, but it was a gift from a friend)

ludwig drums (belong to my friend)

cello.. not sure exactly if there are different feels onto the models, so i'm pretty much going with anything.

harmonica.. mine's in the "e" tuning..

my musical inspiration comes from elliott smith, johnny marr, johnny greenwood, elizabeth berg, and thom yorke to sum it all up.
2008-07-13 22:03:33 UTC
I play guitar and trombone. Trombone sorta just happened at school, but I enjoy playing with the concert band there. It has the nice benefit of going on trips yearly lol. I usually play a King trombone. But I play guitar a lot more. For that I play an Ibanez RG321MH and I love it. I play a lot of different stuff from metal to acoustic stuff(its a Yamaha FG-345 if you're wondering). Right now my major influences are Tom Morello, Joe Satriani, Daron Malakian, and Andy Summers. I guess that's the answer to MQ.

I'm also considering picking up piano, drums, and bass but that's expensive so it waits.
Lady Silver Rose * Wolf
2008-07-14 05:30:37 UTC
Bring on the mockery :

~*~ Tambourine ~*~

I do own a couple of other instruments {electric guitar, and bodhran}, I just haven't gotten around to learning to play them. I would also love to play the piano {big moment of Darth envy here!}, or the flute...

The tambourine and I will happily play any sort of music, from Rock to Folk to Celtic :)

I don't know about 'models' {brands?}, only that tambourines sound different, depending on whether they have single jingles, double jingles, are half-moons, or skinned. The sound also, rather like with the bodhran, differs based on *how* they are played. So which I prefer depends on what sort of sound is required for the song.

MQ : {isn't this *all* an MQ?!}

Yep, you guessed it ~ Stevie Nicks was my *original* inspiration, but now I find that Candice Night and Sandy Denny are making me take it seriously.

To put it simply, KP, I am a total amateur. I've never worked with anyone, and playing the tambourine is very much about inspiration and improvisation ~ I just put on a CD, pick-up the tambourine, and find myself working into the rhythm pattern...

NP : 'Hope Springs Eternal' ~ Capercaillie
Chimpanzees? Monkey.
2008-07-13 22:04:59 UTC
I do guitar and vocals (but not at the same time), I like playing punk on the guitar and as for singing I can do pretty much anything except death metal growls.

My preferred instrument? Ah! I know nothing about models! My only guitar is a Yamaha of some sort.

I was inspired to play guitar because of my uncle, Cliff Dalhaus, and Dimebag Darrell (RIP both). I have many favorite vocalists, but my all time favorite would have to be Grace Slick.
2008-07-13 23:22:48 UTC
I play guitar. Acoustic too, but mostly electric guitar.

I would LOVE to have a Les Paul, but I have a Animal Strat now. Oh well.

MQ: Bluesrock influences, with a little Hardrock and Psychedelic; The White Stripes, The Black Keys, Yardbirds, Led Zep, AC/DC, Sonhouse, Blind Willie McTell, Jimi Hendrix, Allman Brothers Band. And I like Jack White's guitar playing style.
2008-07-13 22:08:22 UTC
I play bass. I prefer playing metal, some funk, some other stuff.

My favorite bass that I've played is a MusicMan Stingray.

I'm influenced by Cliff Burton, Bootsy Collins, Steve Harris, Tom Araya, and Geddy Lee.

I also play trombone. (small, unknown fact) I like to play jazz stuff usually. Also, movie themes. I use a King trombone. My influences are......ummmmm....Jesus.
2008-07-13 22:05:50 UTC
I used to play the viola... haha

Now I play the guitar. I've only been playing for a year so I'm not great. I have a Les Paul. Probably my favorite kinds of guitars. =]

Billie Joe Armstrong/Green Day and Synyster Gates/Avenged Sevenfold are my biggest guitar inspirations.

I like playing any rock. I can play a few Green Day/Foxboro Hot Tubs songs, but I get private lessons so I also have to play dumb songs from a Mel Bay book and stuff
Erin
2008-07-14 08:42:17 UTC
I play guitar and I prefer to play all kinds of metal, and some rock.

I have an Epiphone Semi-Hollow Dot right now, but it's far from being my "preferred" lol. I've really been looking into buying an Ibanez RG350DX.

That, or if I had $2,000+ I would buy Vai's Ibanez JEM7V :D

and if I was REALLY rich, I'd buy his JEM20TH.

MQ: Metallica inspires me all the way! As do other bands I listen to, but they are the main ones.
Patchouli
2008-07-14 07:35:36 UTC
I play violin.

I would prefer to play country or rock if I knew how, but the only rock song I know is the beginning of The Man Who Sold The World.

Hmmmm....I don't really have a "preferred" model, I just play the violin I got from the violin store....

Well I would LOVE to be able to play like Marty McGuire (The Dixie Chicks)
2008-07-13 23:16:01 UTC
I play guitar

Fender American Stratocaster

Ibanez Jem/RG custom

Jackson DK2s

Ibanez Talman TC420

Ibanez Talman TCM50VBS

My influences are 80's Hair metal and shred, Queensryche, Poison, Steve Vai, Dream Theater....
2008-07-14 00:12:30 UTC
Keys

I have a Wurlitzer Grand Piano, a vintage Hammond B3 Organ, and a Roland Synthesizer.

My main inspiration/Musical heroes are

Rick Wakeman (Yes)

Jon Lord (Deep Purple)

Rick Wright (Pink Floyd)

All amazing Keyboardists. But I owe the biggest debt to My Mom. Who taught Me to play.
Mr. Pink ♫Lance Uppercut♫
2008-07-13 22:01:34 UTC
I play a number of instruments brah.

Fender Sunburst Stratocaster Guitar

Ukulele

Fender Sunburst precision bass

piano

clarinet

saxophone

trumpet

trombone

My drum kit (Pearl drums and hardware, Vic Firth drumsticks, Remo drum heads, Meinl Percussion, Shure Microphones, and Zildjian cymbals)

I love music brah. It's what I do.

Enjoy
[Punk Rock Girl]
2008-07-13 22:00:35 UTC
I play punk and metal.. but metal only on occassion.

uh.... I can play guitar, bass, and drums.. and I don't really have a prefered. I like them all. but I play guitar for my band.

[influenced by Brody Dalle/The Distillers, Joan Jett and The Blackhearts, and Poly Styrene/X-Ray Spex]

oooh... Schecter makes awesome guitars. =)

I have a 2 Epiphone LP's [one Slash sig; one plain top honeyburst], Fender Strat [with tons of stickers], a Fender P-bass [also filled with stickers], a B.C. Rich KKV, Lotus Explorer [purple burst], and a Yamaha Rydeen drum set w/ Paiste cymbals and a Pearl hi hat.
fdgfd
2008-07-13 21:58:44 UTC
Drums & Guitar

I play a variety. Alot of Rush and Zeppelin though

Drums - Sonor, with Sabian symbals

Guitar - Paul Reed Smith, Breedlove acoustic

Mike Portnoy and Jimmy Page/Alexi Laiho
Teenager
2008-07-13 22:04:04 UTC
I play the piano. This is my 7th year and I'm still taking lessons, I'm never gonna quit!

Model instrument...I DON'T KNOW. A PIANO IS A PIANO.

MQ: no one. I don't have an inspiration for playing the piano..I started when I was 8 and I'm 14 now...when I was 8 I started cuz my friend did it and I wanted to be like her, but my friend quit and now I'm the one who keeps going! It seems that if I look up to someone, I limit what I can do...that I can never be better than them, which is not true. But that is only my mentality because I'm weird. I just play...that's it. I have never looked up to someone as a role model, except God.

Type of music : I usually play out of "Level #" books, but I completed those and I'm out of levels. lol but in those books it was movie soundtracks, some old songs, and yeah alot of movie songs. I like alot of the PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, TITANIC, REFLECTION (MULAN, lol I don't care, I like it). I like alot of the stuff Andrew Lloyd Webber did, and some stuff by Barbara Streisand oh and Elton John! But I am known for my sappy love songs on the piano, haha. I am starting to get into classical music more, but classical is the hardest to play on the piano. that's the truth. I recently bought a book today of 150 broadway classics ( I think it's broadway). But yeah...I'm learning the Tears In Heaven song by Eric Clapton! and it has alot of songs in there that my dad knows, and some movie soundtracks. great stuff.

Oh, but I REALLY REALLY want to learn how to do metal songs on a keyboard...I have one and it's sitting right by my bed so that when I get up in the morning I can step on it and crush it. But, it goes to no use because I don't know how to get sheet music for metal songs and there's no way I can do it by ear.

I ALWAYS have to make my answers long, even when they need not be. *sigh*

=)
mmhmm
2008-07-13 22:20:01 UTC
I play guitar.

Preferably acoustic.

I love playing mellow songs, the typical acoustic songs you hear. I like me some classic rock too.

My musical inspiration is probably George Harrison because he taught himself how to play and hes a beatle and all that. Jimi Hendrix is also a big inspiration, for obvious reasons.
Space Helicopter
2008-07-13 22:02:50 UTC
I play Guitar and Saxophone. I also enjoy playing piano/keyboards.

I also like singing, but thats not really an instrument.

Guitar-Epiphone Les Paul Ultra

Sax-Yamaha YAS62 alto.

Keyboard-Not sure what the model name is, but its made by Casio.

MQ- My guitar playing is inspired mainly by Troy Van Leeuwen.
alissa
2008-07-13 22:00:39 UTC
Bass for me as well & I play an Epiphone Embassy Standard IV. I want a Thunderbird though.

MQ: Roger Waters.
?
2016-05-24 07:26:16 UTC
Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet
At Soundless Dawn
2008-07-13 22:06:15 UTC
Keyboard

Melodic Death Metal or Progressive Metal

Yamaha

MQ: Janne Tolsa from Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Nertle
2008-07-14 05:29:26 UTC
I play the guitar, but acoustic guitar. (not electric)

And I don't play rock, I prefer to play Flamenco/Classical.

It's actually very fun to play, and they have some really complicated songs. And, of course, it sounds great!

My guitars are:

My dads old Bently, not entirely sure of the exact model.

Yamaha C40.

MA;

Andres Segovia.

Jose Feliciano.
la nena.
2008-07-13 22:07:15 UTC
I teach myself how to play the piano :] my musical inspiration is Paul McCartney and John Lennon

(p.s. i love bass players!!! i loooove Paul McCartney and John Entwistle!!!!)
2008-07-13 22:07:04 UTC
piano- not really a master at it but I can play a couple of songs

drums- I'm better than at the drums than the piano but I haven't played in years. for type of music: Grunge, Power Metal

MQ- well for drums it's Neil Peart
Janie Jones
2008-07-13 22:02:45 UTC
I have a bass and guitar, but that doesn't mean I can play either.

One day I'll be able to play a mean banjo.
2008-07-13 21:59:21 UTC
call me a lame-o, but i wanna be able to lay down fat beats with a keyboard

and do a solo thing like the band breathe carolina (metallers, you wont like, so dont bother looking em up)
Emily! is an Astronaut
2008-07-13 22:04:38 UTC
Saxophone.

- Jazz