Question:
what do you consider punk?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
what do you consider punk?
Sixteen answers:
Fonzie T
2008-05-02 22:26:16 UTC
Some of the bands you listed may have distant ties to punk, but are more like watered down, pop versions. (eg: Blink 182, Green Day, Sum 41, etc)

But generally punk was meant to shake things up. So when you can buy a t-shirt from any "punk" band at your local mall,......it ain't punk.
Satch JR
2008-05-02 22:28:39 UTC
There are different kinds of punk and just like any other genre it is going to develop different sounds over the years. Of course the old punk bands like Misfits and Sex Pistols are going to sound way different than punk bands of recent years like Bad Religion and Pennywise. There are many different sub-genres of punk...like hardcore, oi!, skater, goth, ect...So therefore you are going to have a lot of different sounding punk groups...

I would consider bands like Blink and Sum41 to be pop punk, I would say they are the lowest rung on the punk totem pole...
rbanzai
2008-05-02 22:28:11 UTC
I'm with Fonzie on this one. The original punks were notable for being outside the establishment and doing things that not only broke traditions but could hurt their own career. They were a weird mix of anger and apathy with a side order of comedy.

Alot of modern bands might be influenced by punk but very few strike me as genuinely punk.
Tyler
2008-05-02 22:44:48 UTC
Well, I've never considered punk-rock a style of music because it's generally basic three chord rock-n-roll influenced musically from bands ranging from '50s rock and 1960s garage bands to the Velvet Underground, Stooges, New York Dolls and MC5, amongst many others, including Bowie and T. Rex. However, the musical diversity, especially in the early New York punk scene at CBGB's was producing intricate, epic-length twin-guitar duels from bands like Television, and subversions of girl-group pop and quirky art-school rock. Therefore, musically punk was extremely diverse coming from differing genre's of music and most certainly cannot be defined by a particularly sound in my opinion.

So to me Punk was always more of an attitude and fu*k you response to over produced music and progressive rock, oppose to a sound that existed longer before Punk ever had a name because Iggy Pop, Keith Richards, Sky Saxon, Johnny Thunders, The Fugs etc. were punk before it was ever coined and the music was just a long awaited return to three chords and a simple melody, though sloppier riffs and played louder.
Seal
2008-05-02 22:33:19 UTC
punk bands talk about anti establishment and anti govermental issues

all those bands are punk

misfits and adicts are just older punk or "classic punk" and werent known as much when they first came out

sum 41 blink green day etc are newer and have been better known and often considered "sell outs" for it
2008-05-02 22:33:30 UTC
The Misfits

The Adicts

Bad Religion

Suicidal Tendencies

The Ramones

The Clash

The Sex Pistols

1990's AFI
2008-05-02 22:30:39 UTC
it's hard to classify things as just punk. Lots of banks have a little bit of punk in them...
?
2008-05-02 22:29:09 UTC
well, you re talking about different times there...

obviously punk is the adicts and sex pistols for example, because they initiated the genre

but then bands like blink 182 put it in a different level

but i guess if you want a straight answer, definitelly the adicts and that whole scene is really what punk is all about, i mean they made it :P
POCKET JOKERS - THE DARKSIDE
2008-05-02 22:27:36 UTC
Because of my generation, punk to me is Green Day, Blink-182, Sum 41, The Offspring and NoFX. Others rave about Ramones, but I just find their stuff a bit outdated.
Par 4
2008-05-02 15:32:01 UTC
Just like metal has a billion genres, as well does punk. There is no general punk term just like there is no general metal. You have classic punk like The Ramones and Sex Pistols, then later on you have hardcore, street punk pop punk. Original emo would be considered, but not today's emo. Also in punk we have psychobilly and ska. As for the question what do I consider punk, the answer would be any of the above. Just nothing alternative or screamo like MCR or FOB
skater dude
2008-05-03 00:04:32 UTC
Music Evolves. "Punk" was the ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash etc. But after music evolves styles change. Bands like Green Day, Sum 41, and Blink 182 are punk but there are called "Pop Punk". Punk hasnt died out yet, i think its just evolving again. Who knows what the next wave of Punk is.
Zeppelin 911
2008-05-03 00:25:13 UTC
* Punk Rock which is not on my favorite sub-genres of Rock 'N' Roll except for some of The Clash's work is a genre that started with what they call Proto-Punk bands such as (Iggy Pop & The Stooges) and some of (The Velvet Underground's) work and others . This was called sometimes (Garage Rock) this was untill the emergence of (The Ramones) mid to late 70s which led to explosion of Punk Rock . This kind of music focuses mainly on fast , regular light riffs which can be dance to sometimes like in high school parties . Afterwards , few bands did what (The Clash) did . That is expanding and complexing the sound of (Punk) a bit . That's why (The Clash) are favored by Rock fans in general , but some dedicated usual (Punk) fans favors (The Ramones) because of their simple , usual (Punk) sound . Nowadyas , (Punk) bands like (Green Day) or others you mentioned are kind of "sorry for this fans" just copying sounds whith much better technology and less innovation ..... Finally , there is one song I kind of respect of these 90s to 2000s bands especially the ones you mentioned ... that is (Boulevard Of Broken Dreams) .
Venus in Furs
2008-05-03 01:32:42 UTC
i consider bands like greenday punk(their older stuff)...blink 182 and sum 41 r pop punk lol...if u listen to some of the first punk bands like the clash the ramones sex pistols u would see the difference...but then again their are different types of punk
2008-05-02 22:55:14 UTC
I think 3 doors down and nickelback are PUNK gosh man who cares. nobody knows anything about music these days. Music changes from generation to generation. that's just how it is. teenagers from now think +44, sum 41, the late blink 182, all time low, the maine are punk and 30 and 40 year olds think ramones, sex pistols are punk. it just changes. over ten years teens will think Jonah's brothers are punk. well then i would obviously kill myself if kids would think that. but man please respect other peoples music taste.
2008-05-02 23:51:22 UTC
The Ramones!! ; ) And the Clash, and stuff like that.
2008-05-02 22:41:14 UTC
pully, rancid, choking victim,